‘Grown’ is the name we give to all of our students’ horticultural activities, and the department has itself grown over the last three years, to cover a much wider range of horticultural experiences.
‘Grown’ activities include:
• Maintaining the grounds of the Fifth Trust Centre at its Elham Valley Vineyard site: cultivating the vines, tying in new growth, harvesting the grapes and upkeep of the grass areas.
• Working in the Vineyard Garden Centre, which has been carefully designed to enable students to gain valuable skills in a safe environment. Students are able to undertake a whole range of different tasks, including mixing our own compost, pricking out bedding plants, pricing and displaying stock and serving customers - which is always enjoyable!
• The garden maintenance service, which undertakes all types of garden maintenance and landscaping. We have worked for many private gardens, local businesses, several Parish Councils, and have supplied plants to the Local Authority. You may have seen our Christmas trees in Herne Bay and Whitstable’s Harbour Street.
• Growing plants and shrubs for the Vineyard Garden Centre in our nursery area.
• Growing and harvesting fruit and vegetables at the Local Food Project.
We sell a wide range of plants, bedding, home-mixed compost, garden tools, bird food and cut logs. We can deliver to your home as well!
You will find most things you need to know about the Vineyard Garden Centre and the vineyard itself, including how to find us, on our Vineyard Garden Centre website.
For anything else, and to discuss or book any of our horticultural services, please email Peter Buscall [email protected] or call (01227) 831052.